Sunday 27 November 2016

Lord of the Rings SBG #3 - Fiefdom of Lamedon

This is actually a follow-up to an older blog post from a blog me and some friends ran for a brief time last year dedicated to restarting LotR SBG, Shadows Over Arda. In that blog, I explained that I was going to write rules and convert mini's for other factions not found or fully fleshed out by GW before they updated to their Hobbit set of SBG rules. Although I acknowledge that the Hobbit SBG update may have fixed several areas of the game that full-time players say improve on the LotR iteration, I just don't feel like dropping a load of money on new books anytime soon when I have the entire LotR SBG sourcebook and journey-book collection. (Plus I really dislike the Warband rules. Why does Aragorn or Sauron only have the ability to lead 12 soldiers? I prefer maybe 1 or 2 heroes per army, not armies full of named heroes with 12 guys each following them.)

Back to the subject at hand. My first attempt at writing new profiles for LotR SBG began with the southern fiefdom of Lamedon lead by Angbor the Bold. Games Workshop made a start with producing models for this any a few other of the fiefdoms of Gondor but this as with most of the other fiefdoms, only received one unit and one hero. Using these profiles as a basis I filled in a few blanks with profiles I felt fit the gaps to bring this force up to become an army of its own.

GW went the direction aesthetically of making Angbor and the Clansmen look like the traditional Braveheart Scotsman. My iteration of these models will continue this theme but also use models that would not look out of place in a 12th-century historical army to model the Men-at-Arms and other needed mini's as this is the era I feel most accommodates how I saw the armies of men in Middle Earth during the War of the Ring.

These are my rules for the Fiefdom of Lamedon;

Please leave any feedback regarding these profiles in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment